Central Advisory Committee
The Food Authority is responsible for framing of policies for food and state food regulators have a active role to play in enforcement of the law and ensuring food safety and quality. The Central Advisory Committee is an interface between the central and the state authorities. The Food Authority, by notification, establishes the Central Advisory Committee which ensures close cooperation between the Food Authority and the enforcement agencies and organizations operating in the field of food. All Commissioners of Food Safety are members of this committee.
The CAC, comprises of representatives of concerned Central Ministries/Departments, State/Union Territory Governments and other stakeholders, provides the connecting bridge among the FSSAI, the enforcement agencies (States) and organisations operating in the field of food through a consultative approach. The primary mandate of CAC is advising the Authority on work programme, prioritisation of work, identifying potential risks and pooling of knowledge.
Section-wise Information About Central Advisory Committee
Section 11: Central Advisory Committee (CAC)
(1) The Food Authority shall, by notification, establish a Committee to be known as the
Central Advisory Committee.
(2) The Central Advisory Committee shall consist of two members each to represent the
interests of food industry, agriculture, consumers, relevant research bodies and food
laboratories and all Commissioners of Food Safety, and the Chairperson of the Scientific
Committee shall be ex officio member.
(3) The representatives of the concerned Ministries or Departments of the Central
Government in Agriculture, Animal Husbandry and Dairying, Bio-technology, Commerce and
Industry, Consumer Affairs, Environment and Forests, Food Processing Industries, Health,
Panchayati Raj, Small Scale Industries and Food and Public Distribution or government
institutes or organizations and government recognized farmers shall be invitees to the
deliberations of the Central Advisory Committee.
(4) The Chief Executive Officer shall be ex officio Chairperson of the Central Advisory
(5) The Central Advisory Committee shall follow such rules of procedure including its
transaction of business as may be specified by regulations.
Section 12: Functions of Central Advisory Committee (CAC)
(1) The Central Advisory Committee shall ensure close cooperation between the Food
Authority and the enforcement agencies and organizations operating in the field of food.
(2) The Central Advisory Committee shall advise the Food Authority on –
(a) the performance of its duties under this section and in particular in drawing up of
a proposal for the Food Authority’s work program,
(b) on the prioritization of work,
(c) identifying potential risks,
(d) pooling of knowledge, and
(e) such other functions as may be specified by regulations.
(3) The Central Advisory Committee shall meet regularly at the invitation of the Chairperson
of Central Advisory Committee or at the request of at least one-third of its members, and not less than three times a year.