Section 6: Selection Committee for selection of Chairperson and Members of Food
(1) The Central Government shall, for the purpose of selection of the Chairperson and the Members other than ex officio Members of the Food Authority, constitute a Selection
Committee consisting of –
(a) Cabinet Secretary – Chairperson,
(b) Secretary-in-charge of the Ministry or the Department responsible for
administration of this Act as the convener– Member,
(c) Secretary-in-charge of the Ministries or the Departments of the Central
Government dealing with Health, Legislative and Personnel– Members,
(d) Chairman of the Public Enterprises Selection Board –Member,
(e) An eminent food technologist to be nominated by the Central Government
Section 7: Term of Office, salary, allowances and other conditions of service of Chairperson
and Members of Food Authority
(1) The Chairperson and the members other than ex officio Members shall hold office for
a term of three years from the date on which they enter upon their offices, and shall
be eligible for re-appointment for a further period of three years:
Provided that the Chairperson shall not hold office as such after he has attained the age of sixty-five years.
(a) In the case of the Chairperson, the age of sixty-five years, and
(b) In the case of a member, the age of sixty-two years.
(2) The salary and allowances payable to, and the other terms and conditions of service of
the Chairperson and Members other than ex-officio Members shall be such as may be
prescribed by the Central Government.
(3) The Chairperson and every Member shall, before entering upon his office, make and
subscribe to an oath of office and of secrecy in such form and in such manner and before
such authority as may be prescribed by the Central Government.
(4) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section the Chairperson or any
Member may –
(a) Relinquish his office by giving in writing to the Central Government a notice of not less
than three months; or
(b) Be removed from his office in accordance with the provisions of section 8.
(5) The Chairperson or any Member ceasing to hold office as such shall not represent any
person before the Food Authority or any State Authority in any manner.
Section 8: Removal of Chairperson and Members of Food Authority.
(1) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (1) of section 7, the Central
Government may, by order, remove from office the Chairperson or any other Member, if the
Chairperson or as the case may be, such other Member, —
(a) Has been adjudged an insolvent; or
(b) Has been convicted of an offence which, in the opinion of the Central
Government, involves moral turpitude; or
(c) Has become physically or mentally incapable of acting as a member; or
(d) Has acquired such financial or other interests as is likely to affect prejudicially his
functions as a member; or
(e) Has so abused his position as to render his continuance in office prejudicial to the
(2) No Member shall be removed under clauses (d) and (e) of sub-section (1) unless he has been given a reasonable opportunity of being heard in the matter.
Section 9: Officers and other employees of Food Authority.
(1) There shall be a Chief Executive Officer of the Food Authority, not below the rank of
Additional Secretary to the Government of India, who shall be the Member-Secretary of the Authority, to be appointed by the Central Government.
(2) The Food Authority may, with the approval of the Central Government, determine the
number, nature and categories of other officers and employees required to the Food
Authority in the discharge of its functions.
(3) The salaries and allowances payable to and other conditions of service of, the Chief
Executive Officer, officers, and other employees shall be such as may be specified by regulations by the Food Authority with the approval of the Central Government.